It’s a writing meme! The idea is that writers answer ten questions about the book they are currently working on, then tag five writing friends to do likewise. Jon was kind enough to tag me, so I’ll answer the questions here.
1. What is the working title of your next book?
It doesn’t really have one. Although ‘next’ book kind of suggests that there’s a book for it to be next from. Which there isn’t. I have written a few short stories though, and have started a couple of non-Monty stories.
2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
Monty isinspired in no small part by the adventures of one James Bolivar ‘Slippery Jim’ di Griz, aka The Stainless Steel Rat, with a dash of Thomas Crown (the Brosnan version), soupçon of Danny Ocean. Basically a bunch of heist books/flicks with a smart-talking main character.
3. What genre does your book fall under?
See #2. Heist/Con with added funny. Wisecracking one-liners a speciality.
4. What actors would you choose to play the characters in a movie rendition?
Monty: For a long time at the start he was going to be played by Ewan McGregor, though currently I’ve cast Tim Roth (albeit a slightly younger version) after seeing him in Lie To Me.
Molly: This is the one I have the most trouble with. Kelly Macdonald?
Jenny (the cute barista): not sure. Had been thinking Carey Mulligan perhaps. Maybe.
5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Monty, ace gentleman thief, gets himself into trouble, again. Dangerous amounts of coffee are consumed. Hijinks ensue.
6. Is your book represented by an agency?
Good lord no. Using the word ‘book’ is scary enough.
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Again, this sort of implies that I’ve finished a first draft. Which is not entirely true.
8. What other books would you compare this to within your genre?
See #2. Possibly with a bit of Donald E. Westlake thrown into the mix.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Lawks. I can’t quite remember. I do recall doing a character sketch for Monty many many years ago, which turned into a Chapter One, which was pulled apart (in the nicest possible sense) by my friend Pete. So I rewrote it from scratch. It’s better now. However, I’ve done lots of Chapter Ones, but not many Chapter Twos.
10. What else about this book might pique the reader’s interest?
FREE CHOCOLATE WITH EVERY COPY
I’m not tagging any other writers though. If you want to be tagged, consider yourself tagged.
If you want to read some of my Monty stuff, it’s collected here
 the chocolate may be a lie.